Ensure your data is
optimised for your
Qbase is ultimately proud of its reputation for excellence when it comes to delivering trustworthy, accurate and complete data migrations. Including legacy databases to a new platform.
Data migration, in summary, is a process that moves information and records permanently from one computer storage system to another. And it might even involve a change of physical location, or file format, for the information you transfer.
There are several reasons why you might need a data migration service, including:
- Replacing hardware, such as servers or storage devices, or decommissioning an old data centre
- Transferring on-site IT infrastructure to a third-party, cloud-based alternative
- Moving data within an application, or when introducing a new one
- Installing new software for customer relationship management (CRM) or enterprise resource management (ERP)
- A merger of two or more companies
We meet our customers’ challenges through collaboration, engaging with them at every stage of a project from an initial study of existing systems through to delivery of its replacement and ongoing support afterwards.
Our team of certified specialists simplify a complex process, using the latest industry methodology, to reduce failure risk.
Without their help, little more than a third of data migrations will prevail at the first attempt. However, that success rate rises to 78 per cent when implementing a complete data migration strategy devised with Qbase as a partner.
Data migration process
We identify and audit all of your data stores to assess data quality, relationships, business rules and accessibility to inform the design and provide an accurate scoping of the work.
We identify all the project stakeholders and identify those highly interested, decision makers and subject matter experts who can help guide and support the migration.
We work with the stakeholders to agree a list of headline requirements and a specification for the work.
Planning & Governance
We develop a project plan and project governance which will include a Data Quality Rules Programme and sign-off processes.
We commission the technology, teams and processes to enable the migration to commence.
We set up the migration approach including training the internal teams, commissioning the migration controller, introducing version controls, creating the migration reporting and deploying the project management process.
We perform mapping and transformational design from legacy data stores to target platform which is facilitated by our Data Quality Rules process.
We identify data from legacy systems with no home in your new platform, and gaps in your new platform that is not supported by legacy data.
We develop the transformation scripts in the form of an executable migration controller that pulls through all the source data and loads it into your target platform.
We perform peer review and package testing on all code to ensure it matches the data quality and transformation rules. We also run reconciliation testing to ensure all data can be accounted for.
We run end-to-end testing to ensure the process is error free and so we can iron out any potential issues.
We support a full User Acceptance Testing programme and provide a helpdesk and defect resolution service throughout.
We optimise the process, code and technology to carry out the migration in the fastest possible time.
We steward the whole migration process and have staff available to immediately intervene if there are any problems.
Post Launch Support
We warrant and support the migration following go live and run a helpdesk with responsive SLAs to identify and correct any defects that are discovered after go-live.
Integration with other technology
We are often asked to apply the data quality and transformation rules to other incoming data feeds in the form of automated ETL or connection of the new platform out to datalakes and data warehouses.
- 63% of migrations without our help will fail, and only 22% fail with our involvement.
- Our team, above all, can work collaboratively with existing resource, your Systems Integrator, or as a completely outsourced service.
- Our team has full certification as PDMv2 Practical Data Migration Architects as well.
- In addition, we are veterans of several migration projects.
- We also have experience working on some of the largest CRM migrations in Europe for Microsoft Dynamics and Salesforce.
- Moreover, we’ll actively identify if there are any inherent issues with the target platform design or System Integrator’s processes;
- Plus, we’ll keep you up-to-date on these process changes.
- In addition, we can work in any project management methodology including Agile, Scrum, waterfall or Prince 2.
- Finally, our Data Quality Rules Programme creates long term data governance that lives well beyond the life of the migration.
A Guide for Data Migration Success
Did you know that due to of issues with data migration, only 46% of all new database implementation are delivered on time*? Moreover, that an incredible 74% of projects go over budget?
Preparing for a Major Data Initiative: The Importance of a Landscape Analysis
Because of these revelations, in this guide, we explain key data integration topics. And we look at what it takes to build data integration into business strategy and culture. Accordingly, you can plan your next steps.
CASE STUDY: Great Ormond Street Hospital
The charity appointed Qbase in August 2017, as a data migration specialist to work with their systems integrator, Deloitte. The commission was to migrate their database of 2.7 million supporters from a legacy platform to Salesforce.